The log cabin where Café Genevieve resides is one of the only remaining residential structures in the vicinity of the Town Square adding it to the list of the National Register of Historic Places. In 1906 Roy Van Vleck and his brother Frank moved to Jackson Hole and began building a cabin that would soon house a “Mercantile”. They lived in the back of the cabin which is now the kitchen. In 1910, after the cabin was complete, Roy planted the willow trees along Broadway as a gift for Genevieve Lawton of Michigan. Once married, Genevieve quickly learned the ways of the west and occupied herself with the store and community organizations. In 1920 Genevieve and four other women were elected to the Jackson town council. Jackson Hole’s “Petticoat Government” was the first all women’s government in the United States.